Why We Do What We Do:
- 77% of American Youth are left home alone every afternoon
Source: US Census Bureau
- Most juvenile offenses occur around 3pm on weekdays
Source: NC Dept. of Juvenile Justice
- The average cost per family for their children to participate in extracurricular activities is $2,000 per year
Source: NBC News
- There are over 510,000 children in the foster care system. The average amount of time a child spends in care is 28 months, and the average number of different placements a child receives is 3.
- 13.87% of children in the U.S. have some sort of developmental disability (including ADHD and autism)
- The prevalence of developmental disabilities has increased 17.1% in the last decade (equivalent to 1.8 million children)
NATIONAL STUDIES HAVE SHOWN THAT MENTORED STUDENTS ARE:
- 46% less likely to start using illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to start using alcohol
- 52% less likely to skip school
- They also increase their grades by 59% and perhaps most important, mentored students increase their aspirations and goals by 79%
“He has flourished and changed in so many positive ways since being there.”
Ace comes from a single parent household which makes things financially harder. With this assistance I was able to provide exactly what I wanted for Ace. A safe and diverse place, a positive outlet, somewhere he can stay active and engaged in sports, create lifelong relationships, where he can learn things that can be applied in his life in all aspects whether it’s personal or sports related, and most of all a place he can have fun. I have seen Ace’s personality change so much since being at Proehlific and anyone can tell you that he is most certainly a social butterfly. He has flourished and changed in so many positive ways since being there.
– Ace*, After School & Summer Blast! Participant
“I know Eric is safe and loved when he is there (Proehlific Park).”
“I know that you offer him a place and time to be a ‘normal’ kid without having to hold the burdens of his chaotic world on his shoulders. Eric’s grades have significantly improved — he is more confident than he was 2 months ago and is making new friends. For 8-10 hours a week he is able to be a kid shooting hoops with no cares. Eric is smiling.”
– Beth*, Guardian AD LITEM, Guilford County
“Today I'm happy, confident, and more emotionally secure than I ever have been.”
Proehlific has been a blessing to my family, especially to me. Proehlific Park walked with me through my transition from foster care, it was not always an easy road for me. There were a lot of emotional challenges I faced, like battling with rejection, and abandonment. I had developed insecurities,and fears, but Proehlific Park provided me with unconditional love and encouragement every step of the way. They have provided a safe and stable environment where I can grow and develop life skills that will help me in years to come. Currently I am learning how to be a leader with the C.I.T. program which stands for coach in training. Today I'm happy, confident, and more emotionally secure than I ever have been. I now live my life while laughing, playing ,and loving those around me, and what I do.
– Phala*, After School Program
Additionally, 40% of all donations to the P.O.W.E.R. of Play go to help other children’s charities in the Triad. The ones listed below are just a few of our charity partners.