Kelly and Ricky Proehl created the P.O.W.E.R. of Play Foundation in 1995. Since we began our mission to help kids nearly 20 years ago, we have learned that by showing a child love, acceptance and respect that we can in turn help change their lives. The Foundation teaches the children in our programs through our core values of Play, Opportunity, Work, Excellence and Respect! It is our privilege as a Foundation of volunteers to work on behalf of the children in our community who’s lives we have the opportunity to share. Please watch our video and learn more about us. We ask if this is a mission that touches your heart that you help us through monetary donations and even your time. Please don’t hesitate to contact Tyler Wilson for more information about our Foundation, donations or volunteering!
We Focus on Children in our community because:
- 77% of American Youth are left home alone every afternoon- US Census Bureau
- Most juvenile offenses occur around 3pm on weekdays- NC Dept. of Juvenile Justice
- The average cost per family for their children to participate in extracurricular activities is $2,000 per year- NBC News
- There are over 510,000 children in the foster care system. The average amount of time a child spends in care is 28 months, and the average number of different placements a child receives is 3.- AFCARS
- 13.87% of children in the U.S. have some sort of developmental disability (including ADHD and autism)- CDC
- The prevalence of developmental disabilities has increased 17.1% in the last decade (equivalent to 1.8 million children)- CDC
Volunteers at the P.O.W.E.R. of Play are dedicated to inspiring the spirit of our young people. At its most basic level, mentoring helps children at risk because it guarantees these children there is someone who loves and cares for them.
National Studies have shown that mentored students are:
- 46% less likely to start using illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to start using alcohol
- 52% less likely to skip school
- They also increase their grades by 59% and perhaps most important, mentored students increase their aspirations and goals by 79%.
“I know Eric is safe and loved when he is there (Proehlific Park). I know that you offer him a place and time to be a ‘normal’ kid without having to hold the burdens of his chaotic world on his shoulders. Eric’s grades have significantly improved — he is more confident than he was 2 months ago and is making new friends. For 8-10 hours a week he is able to be a kid shooting hoops with no cares. Eric is smiling.” – Beth*, Guardian AD LITEM, Guilford County
ADDITIONALLY, 40% OF ALL DONATIONS TO THE P.O.W.E.R. OF PLAY GO TO HELP OTHER CHILDREN’S CHARITIES IN THE TRIAD. THE ONES LISTED BELOW ARE JUST A FEW OF OUR CHARITY PARTNERS.
Please Help Us Help Children in our Community!